Water, sunshine, summer breeze. And work.
Good match? Not really.
But I got into a new habit this month:
I take my kids to the outdoor pool, have a good swim then I lay down on the grass and catch up on my business reading or write a blog post. (Disclaimer: My kids are older than eight and very good, level 4 and 5 swimmers.)
I take turns relaxing and working a bit, and generally I’m having a good time, almost as much when my parents took us to the pool as kids.
So my advice to all of you: Don’t wait for your vacation week, enjoy summer every day!
Three tips for a great long summer
Get out of the house every single day
Summer is short. It may feels never ending with the kids out of school but in a few short weeks it will be cold and dark again. So throw the remote away, leave your phone on charger and go outside. Suppose you are at home by six, you have at least three beautiful summer evening hours to enjoy outside.
- Get stress-relief
- Lose weight
- Live more healthy
- Practice mindfulness
Don’t tell me none of those were your goals! I won’t believe you. 🙂
Ten quick, easy and cheap things to do outside on weeknights
- Walk in the park or in a nice neighborhood.
- Invite a friend for a jog.
- Eat breakfast/dinner out on the deck.
- Play Frisbee in front of your house.
- Take the neighbor’s dogs for a walk.
- Go for a lazy bike ride.
- Go for a quick dip. Outdoor pools are open till 8:00 pm. (Keep essentials packed in a big bag all summer. That’s what I do, and I just add fresh beach towels, swimsuits and water bottles quickly.)
- Set up a reading spot outside (chair, cushion, coffee table) and do your reading there.
- Sit at a coffee shop with a terrace.
- Go down to the beach/bay/riverside if you are lucky and have one!
Who wants to steam in the kitchen or wait for an order at a crowded eatery when you can relax outside?
Time-saving tips for summer
- Eat Mediterranean. Little pan-roasted chicken or fish and salads with avocado and leftover rice.
- Marinade one bigger batch of meat and you can prepare them in ten minutes when you need to.
- Same with rice.
- Mix and match salads: keep some greens, toppings and dressings at hand, that way you will easily put some crunchy health bowl together in five minutes.
- Shawarmas, tortillas, tacos and the like. Quick and easy, and always different.
- Try stir-fries. Nina Simonds in Simple Asian Meals have a handy one-page cheat sheet for healthy stir fries.
- Fruits. Fruits and nuts.
- Eat healthy
- Save money
- Save time
- Lose weight
Forget 80 percent of your To Do List
I mean it. Just look at your to do list. If it is in your head, write it down. I wait for you.
Now pick the top one or two that makes the most impact on your life. Think matter of life and death.
(If you have ten on your list, pick two. Fifteen, pick three. More than fifteen? Get some help, girl!)
Do them first thing in the morning.
Okay, you can have your coffee or tea then go and finish them off.
Delegate or postpone the rest.
They can wait until the rain and cold comes in November. It will come and you will have nothing better to do. Stupid chores don’t go anywhere.
- Laser focus on priorities
- uncluttered life
- Get stress-relief
That’s it. This is my advice for you folks. Enjoy your life in the sunshine, the warm weather, no snow pants… Go Californian for a bit, for goodness sake! Winter will catch up on us way too soon!
What is your favorite trick to carve out more summer fr yourself? Share it with us in the comments below! 🙂